Sunday, March 16, 2008

Why am I "in Transition"?...

...For a lot of reasons. I'm not willing to say just how old I am yet (early midlife will have to suffice for now), but I am getting to that point in my life where the transitions are more about getting older than they are about growing up. My boys are teenagers now...the older of the two will graduate from high school in a few months and head off to Marine Corps Boot Camp (reservist for now), and then start college. My youngest will graduate in two and a half more short years. The empty nest looms.

I hate saying this, but I can't stay solely a Labor nurse indefinitely. I love what I do, despite its frustrations and the tendency to burnout; but it's taxing work, physically and emotionally. I wonder sometimes just how long my back and knees will hold out. Losing weight and exercising will help that tremendously, but there has to be a limit. There are a couple of nurses on my unit who have worked until retirement (over age 60), and even come back in a limited capacity...a shift or two every week or so. They inspire me. Emotionally the work can be rough as well. I know this sounds sexist, but it's unfortunately true...wherever the work force is dominated by females, witchiness happens. I get tired of the constant bitching and gossiping. Not that everyone is that way, nor do the ones that do it do it all the time; but it does affect moral on the unit, and for me, tends to burnout. Hospitals being what they are (a business as well as a service), dealing with the "corporateness" of it all can be frustrating; and finally, particularly because I work on a unit that deals with a lot of high-risk situations, and a lot of patients who live in not-so-good situations, the work can be emotionally taxing. Optimism can be hard to come by sometimes. Having said that, I do work with some amazing women, incredibly skilled and experienced nurses from whom I have learned much; and I have experienced many rewards in working will all kinds of families.

I need to generate more income. I didn't graduate from nursing school until I was 40, and I still have the student loan debt and lack of retirement savings to show for it. I'm looking at ways I can do that...teaching, consulting, maybe even writing. Teaching, particularly looks like it will happen before long; I've been talking with a local community college about becoming a part-time clinical instructor and occasional lecturer in their program; that will entail reducing my hours in my current job, and working during a different time of day during the part of the week I'm teaching (I'm a confirmed night-shifter), and that will be a big, if welcome change. Change can be challenging...even the good changes.

Finally, I still think about getting an advanced degree. At my age, I wonder if it will be "worth it"; but there is so much I want to do that a Masters or even higher degree might open the door to;and there is so much to learn. I just wonder if there is time enough to do it before retirement. I can't imagine ever being completely retired...I'll always want to stay involved in my field as long as I can, in at least some small way...but the reality is that the older you get, the less opportunity there can be, in terms of employment, unless you're in upper management...and even then ageism can get you, even if it technically is illegal. Financially, it will be difficult to justify the extra expense of another degree if something doesn't change drastically in my finances.

There is always hope.

1 comment:

Jawndoejah said...

Can all you wonderful people move to Kansas so when I have my 7th baby (someday, God willing) I don't have to worry about being abused during labor? Really. If you look for comments from Dawn on atyourcervix you'll see my birth story in bits. I birthed a very beautiful OP (who turned just before birth) baby in the caul...bag intact...no thanks to my nursie (I am sorry, I just have to call her that). I was so down for months after that day. I was not allowed to pee, not allowed to venture around the room, not allowed to shower, or off the monitor. I was very frustrated, and all along knew I needed to be up and around, knew I shouldn't push on my back. I pushed for about an hour and 1/2 and then the OB figured out baby was OP. I could have kissed him when he said, "she needs to get up on hands and knees and also squat...the baby is OP." I had my Jillian 10 minutes later. I wanted what my body knew, my baby needed to turn and could only do that if I were allowed to birth in the way I had all of my babies before, with movement, with freedom.

Keep working out there to help those of us who are weird to many nurses. Those of us who have never had pain meds in labor, and who want waters intact if they are intact. Those of us who are NOT afraid of an IV but who know we cannot drink if we get one so we'd prefer not to be stuck, thank you very much. Let us shower, or push on the potty, or eat yogurt in labor. Let us decide. When it's not safe for baby, we'll trust you since you proved your trust by giving us dignity and not talking above us or telling us obvious lies to get us to comply with your wishes. Look us straight in the eye and tell us the truth.

Blessings!
Dawn